Table of Contents
After completing this chapter you should:
- Be aware of your legal and ethical obligations towards participants and be informed of the different legal requirements of EU Member States;
- Understand how protecting your data properly protects you against violating laws and promises made to participants;
- Understand the impact of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR; European Union, 2016a);
- Understand how a combination of informed consent, anonymisation and access controls allows you to create shareable personal data;
- Be able to define what elements should be integrated into a consent form;
- Be able to apply anonymisation techniques to your data;
- Be able to answer the DMP questions which are listed at the end of this chapter and adapt your own DMP.
This chapter is based on European and country-specific laws and codes of research ethics. Any guidance and advice within this module do not constitute legal advice. Professional legal advice should be sought where you are unsure of the legal requirements placed upon you by law when conducting your research.